Sunday, September 20, 2015

What Makes a Book "Good"?

I do think this is subjective, for the most part. I understand there are classics out there, but I also don’t believe that the basis for a “good” book is based on archaic writings from the 1600s. As society and the world change, so do the people and what makes them tick. I am not saying that these older classics have no relevance in our current society, but I also don’t believe that they should be the guidelines for what makes a book considered well-written.

I’ve thought often about my criteria for a good book, as well as the public’s, my friends and some critics. And I think the biggest thing these four groups have in common, is that we don’t always see eye to eye. And this is but a sample of the different groups out there and how rarely they agree on the definition of a “good” book, as well as supporting my original thesis. I don’t know enough about history to know if it was always this way, or if this is a new thing for society. However, with what I know about people, there is typically always a person who likes absolutes and “black & white” thinking. I know this, because it is usually me ;) .

So let’s be honest here - what truly do you like in a book? And why does that have to be the same for everyone? Why can’t “Twilight” be a good book? And even well-written, which I would argue, it is! I don’t know your basis for good writing, but I learned ages ago that descriptive words, flowery language, crazy awesome essays, I mean, they really aren’t that hard to crank out. I’ve been getting A’s in my writing since I started getting letter grades and was accused of plagiarizing by more than one teacher. Not even college papers posed problems for me, in any subject, even when put off til the last minute. And I know my classmates did not agree with me, as their grades reflected this. So, maybe now you understand, why “well-written” can be subjective. I see authors who have an amazing talent in their grasp of language and rhetoric, that I could care less about. I mean, if I can do it in middle school, what makes you think it’s impressive? You want to impress me? Get me to relate.

When I find a good book, it’s because I was able to put myself into either, the characters’ or author’s shoes, and feel what they felt. I saw what they saw. I laughed, I cried, I understood. This type of writing is harder for me. I can’t bs my way through blog posts like I can term papers. There’s so much more to books than semantics or a well-thought out thesis. Although, both are important, they do not make a book “good”. Not in my eyes. And the best books also don’t always have happy endings, I’m sad to say. They also may have ideas you don’t agree with, and that’s ok too. We never learn anything from constant agreement. So, disagree if you will, because I would like the opportunity to know what YOU think makes a book “good”. I’ll be looking forward to that discussion :) .

Kt

P.s. Thought y'all could use a break on the intense posts plus I've been giving myself writing exercises. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment